Cultural Awareness Translation of ‘Welcome to here, [you(plural)].’
Translation into Biigtigong’s dialect of Nishnaabemwin:
- Gchi-piitendaagwad wmaandi yaayeg.
Morphemes (building blocks of each word):
- Gchi-piitendaagwad ~ “it is appreciated”
- Gchi- ~ “very”, “quite”
- piitendaagwad ~ “it is valued so high”, “it ranks so high”
- wmaandi ~ “here”
- yaayeg ~ “…that you(plural) are (in a certain place)”
- yaa ~ “be (in a certain place)”
- yeg ~ “that you(plural)…”
A rough translation of the inner-meaning:
- It is quite highly valued that you(plural) are present here.
A plainer, more free-form, inner-meaning translation:
- It is appreciated that you(plural) are here.
Montano, J. P. “Facilitating Cultural Awareness with Biigtigong’s Dialect” biigtigong.com. Biigtigong Nishnaabeg, 21 Jun 2018. Web.